Accueil Forum Pro-am follow-up Guide to reducing the data with ImageJ

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  John Strachan 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

John Strachan

In addition to the guidelines referenced in the AAVSO alert ( https://www.aavso.org/aavso-alert-notice-583 ) I have produced the following short youtube video for those wishing to reduce the data using ImageJ.

John

Cliff Kotnik
    Participant

Thanks for the video. I have a couple of questions.

I have some experience using AstroImageJ(AIJ) which appears to be just a slightly different face on the same algorithms. Is there any reason I should not use AIJ?

You note that the flux ratio is used to calculate the instrumental magnitude to submit to AAVSO for the MAGNITUDE field. In AIJ, this is called rel_flux_T1. Since this is relative to the comp star, should I report zero in the CMAG AAVSO field (-2.5*log10(1)=0)?

thanks
    Cliff

Guillem Anglada

Sure you can use AstroImageJ. I think it is a fork of ImageJ. We need a standard format to be sure plots are generated consistently with the AAVSO tools but for those of you able to generate good numbers of measurements we can discuss a bit more to produce more refined light curves (eg with more references) for the science analyses.

Peter Nelson
    Participant

I have been using AIJ for KELT-STH work. There ensemble photometry us done.
    For AAVSO work I use MiraPro. For time series work I use one comparison star.
    I presume for consistency data through AAVSO observers should not be ensemble or are you happy to receive an AIJ file directly? If so where do you send such data?
    Thanks
    Peter

John Strachan

Hi Peter, Thanks for your interest in the campaign. Details of comparison stars to be used and how to upload your results to the AAVSO database including the format of the file to be used are given in the AAVSO alert here:

best regards

John

John Strachan
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.